Kekkei Genkai describes special abilities and gifts passed through the bloodline, i.e., genetically. So does Naruto have a Kekkei Genkai?
A cheerful, adventurous, ambitious adolescent protagonist of the series Naruto Uzumaki is undoubtedly an owner of various skills and powers. Kekkei Genkai, however, by the very definition, is passed down by the bloodline, which would mean they can’t possibly be acquired, or is it?
What is Kekkei Genkai?
A Kekkei Genkai (literally translated as bloodline limits) is a genetic aberration that allows the wielder to employ unusual tactics. The majority of Kekkei Genkai are passed down over a clan’s generations. In the show there are primarily three types of Kekkei Genkai:
- Dojutsu: This Kekkei Genkai is represented by the Sharingan of the Uchiha family and the Hyuga clan of Byakugan. These special eyes have unique perceptual qualities, such as X-ray vision or keen attention to detail. Some dojutsu, such as the Byakugan, are present from birth, while others, such as the Sharingan, must be awakened under certain circumstances.
- Nature Transformation: This is to merge two of the five primary elements (fire, water, wind, earth, and thunder) to create a new nature. For example, water and wind combined give ice, and fire and earth combines to give lava. Ice is associated with the Yuki clan, although there s no necessary need to be associated so. We do see Naruto using ’em. So does Naruto have a kekkei genkai?
- The last one, which includes Kimimaro’s Shikotsumyaku, is of the idiosyncrasy type.
Despite the immense powers of Kekkei Genkai, which indeed give the user an added advantage, it is certainly not a prerequisite to becoming a great shinobi. So, Does Naruto have a Kekkei Genkai? We’ll get to know in the next section.
Does Naruto have a kekkei genkai?
Naruto was born without any kekkei genkai. Despite this, Naruto has managed to acquire some kekkei genkai, albeit in an unconventional way (just protagonist things, ya know?)
Naruto obtained the chakra of all nine Tailed Beasts, three of whom are Kekkei Genkai users, during the Fourth Great Ninja War. Naruto has access to three Kekkei Genkai powers: Magnet Release, Lava Release, and Boil Release. Naruto learned these abilities thanks to the tailed monsters lending him their abilities throughout the battle.
Naruto’s Magnet Release power, derived from the details chakra, allows him to use his chakra to magnetize items. Naruto’s other five-tails ability is Boil Release, which will enable him to emit chakra imbued with steam from his body and melt things. Finally, the four-tails chakra allows Naruto to use the Lava Release, which will enable him to mix lava with his chakra for attacks, as the name implies.
Naruto is known to still have some of the tailed-beast chakras after the war, as he is seen employing some of these abilities during the events of Boruto.
Hence Naruto does have kekkei genkai. The power lent to him through these enables him to become the great ninja he is.
Kekkei Genkai Uniqueness
Kekkei Genkai is different from Hiden because the latter is exclusive precisely because their access is denied to others by the people who possess these skills. You may wonder what are these skills and what they can do? Here are some powerful and most used Kekkei Genkai:
There are three great Dojutsu:
- Byakugan: Byakugan is commonly associated with the Hyūga clan. Except for a small blind spot near the second vertebrae behind the individual, the Byakugan provides an almost flawless field of view through solid objects. In addition, the individual acquires the capacity to see for miles. The Byakugan can also detect chakra fields created by ninja techniques, allowing the user to identify illusions and even granting the user access to other ninja’s chakra channels, which led to the creation of the Hyuga fighting style.
- Rinnegan is the most venerated eye amongst the “Three Great Dōjutsu.” In times of disorder, one who possesses the Rinnegan is sent down from the heavens to become either a “God of Creation” who will calm the world or a “God of Destruction” who will reduce everything to nothingness. The Rinnegan is characterized by concentric circles covering the eyeball.
- Sharingan means Mirror Wheel Eye. It is the dōjutsu kekkei Genkai of the Uchiha clan.By simply observing any ninjutsu, genjutsu, or taijutsu, the user is able to learn and use it. The user also acquires the capacity to see faster motions and identify chakra to the point where a clone and a real person can be distinguished.
2. Nature Transformations
- Boil Release: A combination of fire and water. Boil Release varies depending on the user and the power they hold.
- Explosion Release: Merging of earth and lightning. Explosive chakra can be used by anyone using explosion release.
- Ice Release: A combination of water and wind. It was a Kekkei Genkai of the Yuki clan.
- Lava Release: A combo of Fire and Earth. Like boil release, lava too, depends on who uses it.
- Storm Release: A combination of lightning and water. It is used by several shinobi from Kumogakure.
- Magnet Release: A merger of wind and earth. Magnet Release users generate a magnetic force( well duh) which they apply to their advantage. (Magneto, who?)
- Scorch Release: Resulted when Sasuke and Naruto combined their fire and wind-natured techniques.
Does Naruto have a Kekkei Genkai? Naruto managed to acquire Magnetic, Lava, and Boil Nature Transformations Kekkei Genkai.
3. Idiosyncrasies kekkei genkai
- Shikotsumyaku: It is passed down via Kaguya’s family and allows the user to control their own bone formation, including osteoblasts, osteoclasts, and calcium levels. The user has complete control over anything bone-related, to the point of being able to rapidly generate and modify it.
- Attack of the Twin Demons: Ukon may use this technique to possess his brother Sakon’s body, moving freely within it and escaping from Sakon at whim. This enables Ukon to assist Sakon in combat in ways that Sakon would not be able to do on his own, such as emerging from Sakon’s back to intercept surprise assaults or creating hands from Sakon’s head to attack from angles that Sakon would not be able to attack from on his own.
Does Naruto ever use his Kekkei Genkai?
Yes, Naruto was first seen using Lava release against Madara. A while later, he was also seen using the Magnet release.
Does Naruto have a Kekkei Genkai that can he use simultaneously?
No, Naruto has access to three kekkei genkai; Lava release, magnet release, and boil release.
Does Naruto have a bloodline limit?
Naruto was not born with a bloodline limit, also called Kekkei Genkai. He however gained three later on.
What episode does Naruto get his Kekkei Genkai?
Naruto gets his kekkei genkai in “Wind” (旋風, Kaze), episode 55 of the Naruto: Shippuden anime.